Occupation Therapy with children is all about play!
A child’s main job is playing and learning. Occupational therapists can evaluate your child’s play skills, school performance, and daily activities to compare them with what is developmentally appropriate for their age.
Our occupational therapists provide interventions to children who have or are at risk of having developmental delays and are experiencing difficulties functioning in one or more areas of their lives. Occupational therapy may include facilitating performance of coordinated motor skills and/or use of the hands, as well as promoting skills for listening and following directions, self-regulation, social play, dressing, and grooming.
Some other areas of focus may include helping children improve abstract reasoning, problem-solving, decision-making, perceptual skills, as well as memory, sequencing, and motor planning. All of these skills are crucial for independent living and success across many environments.
Occupational therapy services typically include:
- A comprehensive evaluation;
- Customized treatment programs to improve the child’s ability to perform daily activities;
- An at-home program for carry-over of therapy techniques;
- Recommendations for the home and school as appropriate;
- Adaptive equipment recommendations and usage training as appropriate; and
- Continual guidance and support for family members and caregivers.
Our occupational therapists specialize in the assessment and treatment of the following:
- Sensorimotor skills
- Sensory processing integration
- Visual-motor integration
- Visual perceptual skills
- Fine motor control and coordination
- Gross motor control and coordination
- Self-care skills
- Social and peer interaction skills
- Executive functioning skills
Our therapists help children develop the skills needed to perform everyday tasks by using creative methods to motivate children and ensure that their experience at Family Solutions is successful and enjoyable! We value our relationships with caregivers, teachers, and physicians, and realize that collaboration is essential in creating effective carry-over from the clinic to the home and school. Our internal collaboration and multi-disciplinary team approach allow us to provide exceptional treatment with highly desirable outcomes.
Our therapists treat children with a wide variety of abilities. They specialize in working with children diagnosed with:
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Sensory Processing Disorder
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- Learning Disabilities
- Down Syndrome
- Cerebral Palsy
Having a child who requires occupational therapy can be challenging at times, and our goal is to help relieve some of the day to day stresses on your family while helping your child succeed. Our caring, friendly staff is always willing to answer any questions you may have about your child’s therapy and to help you be more active in the process.